Staying Safe Online
1) Don’t post any personal information online – like your address, email address or mobile number.
2) Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself. Once you’ve put a picture of yourself online most people can see it and may be able to download it, it’s not just yours anymore.
3) Keep your privacy settings as high as possible
4) Never give out your passwords
5) Don’t befriend people you don’t know
6) Don’t meet up with people you’ve met online. Speak to your parent or carer about people suggesting you do
7) Remember that not everyone online is who they say they are
8) Think carefully about what you say before you post something online
9) Respect other people’s views, even if you don’t agree with someone else’s views doesn’t mean you need to be rude
10) If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried: leave the website, turn off your computer if you want to and tell a trusted adult immediately.
Taken from http://www.safetynetkids.org.uk/
The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command, or CEOP Command, is a command of the UK's National Crime Agency (NCA). The NCA's CEOP Command works with child protection partners across the UK and overseas to identify the main threats to children and coordinates activity against these threats to bring offenders to account. They protect children from harm online and offline, directly through NCA led operations and in partnership with local and international agencies.
Taken from https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
On many websites you will see the CEOP button (like on the front page of our website), it aims to protect children from the harm of abuse and exploitation both online and offline.
On many games and apps you can block people who are being unkind or you do not want to play with. Sometimes this can be done by clicking on their name or gaming tag or sometimes through settings. If you are ensure, then please ask a trusted adult.
Suggested sites for learning how to keep your child safe online:
This is an image showing the age restrictions for various social media that your child may wish to use.
A guide to the different Apps children may use and the dangers of them can be found here.